Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kids Count Too!!! Buying a house and considering the Opinions of your children.

I found this great article on Trulia.com "How to Include Your Kids in Your Home Search" and it reminded me of when I purchased my house for my family. I had a long list to give my agent on what I wanted for my new home.  Everything from a large master bath, to comfy carpet for my kids toes.... And although my list largely involved what I thought my children's expectations were, it wasn't until we started shopping and viewing homes did I realize they had very different ideas of what our new home would have.

My son, 6 years old, for example, was in the market for "room to run, a place for his dog, a place to play video games, and a home with adequate hiding places (i.e. under stair cases) to scare me when I walk by.  I will be honest the only thing on his list that matched mine was a place for the dog....

I also have a 9 year old daughter, who always has an opinion on everything...  Her list was a little different from my sons.  She wanted ample closet space for the wardrobe that she thinks that she has, a room with a lot of natural light (I have no idea why) and she too was looking for a good hiding place, but for reading her books on the arts I presume.  Oh yes, I almost forgot her need of a good mirror in the bathroom for all her primping.  (Clearly I have my work cut out for me in the up coming years with this girl)

But it wasn't until I included them that I realized they had wish list too.  Please enjoy this well written blog on trulia.com that breaks down what to expect when buying a home from your children by age group.  Happy House Hunting!


No comments:

Post a Comment